Welcome to Issue 8 of Critical Mass.
When we began one of our stated aims was to change the conversation around socialism. Today, for the first time we publish a conversation that was stimulated by one of our news stories. It is a discussion about mandatory vaccines and Covid passports in which ordinary people show they can have an intelligent conversation about a complex issue without it becoming confrontational and binary in the way that mainstream media love to shape such discussions.
If other people would like to organize their own conversations to share on Critical Mass we are open to suggestions. But if you are going to share a conversation, please ensure that you have permission from all the participants.
A recurring theme for Critical Mass is the Climate Crisis and today the Spotlight falls on environmental campaigner Howard Thorp. I hope we changed the light bulb in the spotlight for LEDs beforehand. As well as writing regularly for Critical Mass, Howard has his own blog Capitalism Creates Poverty (capitalism-creates-poverty.blogspot.com)
This week we publish in the shadow of the deaths of 27 refugees in the English Channel. Some of our authors had already written articles about refugees, migration and about the rise in racism fuelled by government pronouncements before the tragedy. We publish them today.
- School’s Out
- Defend Our Unions and Strike Out the Tories
- Boredom to freedom
- Netanyahu promises retribution
- Your incredible intelligence
- Sunday Socialist January 29th
- Israel’s Murderous Rampage on the West Bank
- Journalist sued by Russian oligarch with help of British government
- Wooden Leg – a warrior who fought Custer by Thomas Bailey Marquis
- Union Drive in the Gaming Industry
- Lessons from History – The Peasants’ Revolt
- France is “very sexist”
- Support the Nurses
- Sunday Socialist January 22nd
- Jacinda Steps Down
- Ignoring Long Covid
- ‘Ten Years Hard Labour’ by Chris Williamson
- Time to transform society
- Rape – Nobody asks for it – Ever
- Starmer under fire for suggested NHS reforms
- War is hell
- Sunday Socialist January 15th